Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight for the Strategic Shopper

On 2015-02-19, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:21:05 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[ ... ]

My choices are CRC MAF and general-purpose contact cleaner, 91%
isopropyl alcohol, Deoxit and Deoxit Gold. I've never tried Deoxit,
the others have worked well enough for me on more accessible wiping
contacts like the harness connectors in my truck. Here's the issue,
see 2.4:
http://www.brentek.com/pdfs/DRY_Applications.pdf

I've never tried DeOxit Gold, but I have used DeOxit, and its
predecessor from the same company, Cramolin, and found both to be very
good -- including for spraying into the end of a push-button switch
assembly of the kind likely to be in the piano-key Flukes.

I've used it on some aging switches of similar nature in various
7000 series Tektronix plugins.

[ ... ]

Internet opinions on contact cleaners vary. Any soluble contamination
is likely to enter the switch, and once inside it's nearly impossible
to remove, so I'm asking for hands-on experience.

Well ... you have my opinion about the DeOxit and the switch
assemblies. Hold the board so the DeOxit will flow through the switch
as you spritz in with the skinny nose tube, cycle the switches a number
of times, then follow with another round of DeOxit. (Or use the red and
blue varieties, if you have both. -- I was once told that the two colors
differed only in the color dye in them, and this was to encourage the
following of the instructions of cleaning with one spritz and then
protecting/lubricating with the other.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--