Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tool Chatter on 3-axis router

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 00:12:32 -0800 (PST), robobass
wrote:

Long skinny tools should ALWAYS make shallow cuts on each pass.

I feel like I'm doing that. Should I reduce the passes even more?

Generally..and Im speaking as someone who only keeps the machines
running and only dabbles at machining....diameter of the mill = depth
of cut.

with "average" hobby machines for hobbyists in aluminum. Double the
depth if you can run over 3000 rpm. Not a "truth"..just a suggestion.

Got an 1/8" endmill..never cut more than 1/8" deep per pass
3/8" endmill...never more than 3/8" etc etc.

This of course may change a bit if you are using coolant with flood,
or with mist etc etc etc.

I would Strongly recommend using a machinest's calculator and then
making notes if your machine isnt rigid or fast enough...and a
plastics/wood router..is NOT rigid by any means. My mill weighs 2700
lbs. Its rigid.

http://hsmadvisor.com/index.php?page=Download

Cutting metals..is not like cutting wood and plastic

There are quite a number of similar Free programs out there..some of
which are designed to run on your smart phone..if you dont have a
computer out in the shop. Some are good, some are crappy..some are
very good. Most of the very good ones will cost you money. Not
all..but most.

Im sure folks here will suggest various programs or even give you the
formulas or an online calculator.

I use my android cellphone as a speeds and feeds calculator.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lculator&hl=en

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/news-a...id-phones.html

try this one on your computer

http://zero-divide.net/?page=fswizard

Try this one on your Android phone..if you have one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....fswizard_lite

PJ O'Rourke