Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone know about vacuum rating?

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:35:04 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Well, it cost me a double-sawbuck to figure out what I needed to know,
but it leaves me questioning some of the manufacturer's claims.

I took a length of good, clean, and round 2927 pipe (no Larry, no
holes... this is solid pipe),

clap,clap,clap

capped both ends, BRACED the ends inside so
they could not initiate a collapse, and stuck in a reefer fitting for my
Robinaire pump... then started gradually pulling it down.

drum roll, please

Now, three of the manufacturers of the stuff claimed "ability to
withstand column separation up to five stories high". Working backwards,
a suddenly-separated column of water-borne 'stuff' would initially pull a
vacuum of about 22", before it began to boil and make up the vacuum.

So I felt pretty good about getting through this OK. nahhh.... at about
18", the whole pipe gently folded up into a flat ribbon of PVC, with only
the braced ends staying round. G (kinda neat to watch, even though that
was the expected failure mode)

Well, at least you know how to make PVC bows without a vise or torch
now.

So, I'm going to have to find room for two runs of 3" Sch-40 under the
table for each of the four table zones. shrug

What kind of CFM are you running during cutting, anyway?
Why do you need so much?

I'm glad I didn't pipe it first, then find out!

That might have been interesting, wot? g

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.