Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] lostfrom68jay@yahoo.com is offline

Default tool Chatter on 3-axis router

Ill have to agree. And I dont see if he is using a 2 flute or 4 flute
cutter..and in his case..its going to need to be a 2 flute. Slow the
feed rate way the frack down..something like 10-30 IMP would be
pushing it, partciularly with a single deep cut. Brass is brittle,
not real ductile like aluminum..but its still ductile and will load up
your endmill and plug that sucker up trying to unload chips. And of
course he is cutting it dry..which at those speeds..he should be at
the very least..using a mist coolant..not so much for cooling..but for
lubrication of the chips.

Gunner

More detail: Two flute Hss-Co-TICN, roughing with 2mm depths and 1mm stepover, .3mm finishing pass at full depth.

I don't think I need coolant. The chips fly far away and the cutting area stays clear and cool.

It's been suggested that I make the finishing pass .05mm and raise the tool .05mm so it isn't touching the bottom. I still think a big issue is the tool being so long and skinny. Haven't had a chance yet to run a thicker, shorter tool.