Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default regrind spindle

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 08:11:22 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

This of course assumes there are ZERO high spots inside the spindle
nose. If there are high spots..they have to go away..hence a Dremel
tool etc etc will knock off high spots/burrs/damage. Better to have a
groove than a ridge.

I cannot find runnout inside the spindle. AND its more the longer the
tool holder. My theory, a couple of G0 schmucks of the spindle has
bent it. Seen this in your experience?

Unfortunately..I have see it.

I'm ruling out toolholders. The same holder runs near 0 runnout in the
other machine. And it don't break small endmills. several different
holders with the same results here.

Ah! Ayup..out of alinement

Another possible is high spots I heven't detected. Do I dare take a
taper 40 reamer to it lightly? Would I be better off using a tool
holder and lapping compound?

Shrug..both are harder than a hookers heart. Generally..not
always..but generally....the tool holder is softer than the spindle.
Im not sure what to suggest at this point.

I'm afraid of the cost of the place you suggest, but maybe I should
just bite the bullet and be done with it

Give em a call and ask about their price. Its an easy job for
them..they might give you a break as you are a hobby guy, not a pro
shop.

thanks for your advice

Karl

PJ O'Rourke