Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

John B. Slocomb fired this volley in
:

and for a
four jawed chuck, as the guy shows using a power drive,

One gets the impression that the particular machinist in that article had
nothing worthwhile to offer the community, so he documented an abusive
technique he never really thought out.

He probably _doesn't_ "get rid of the last few thousandths of runout", so
it never occurred to him that his is a bad way to 'adjust' a 4-jaw chuck
(or any chuck, for that matter).

I seldom do rapid repeated cutoff work, but I was gifted a nice 3"
precision 6-jaw Quick-acting chuck, so when I do such work, it's both
fast and pretty accurate.

Kind of a funny story, that. I built a precision crimper for 5/32" o.d.
brass tubing for a client for fixing electric igniters into short lengths
of that tubing. He was using the assemblies as movie stage 'ammunition'
for prop guns in a country where real firearms are prohibited even as
movie props.

The chuck became the 'crimper' part, as it would very precisely neck the
tubing down with a pretty six-point 'star crimp'. We didn't even have to
modify it.. just mounted it in a hollow-framed stand, and clamped a pull
handle to the closing ring.

The idea fell through with the movie studios. He later dropped off the
beautiful chuck-in-stand with "You want this boat-anchor?" "Well...
sure, thanks. I might find SOME use for it." G

Lloyd