Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

fired this volley in news:908c1eda-3f15-45b4-
:

http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/Mov...JawsFaster.htm

Probably not new to a lot of you, but new to me.

I'm sorry, Pete, but I don't see anything there that a serious machinist
or serious amateur machinist would think was reasonable.

With the standard 'tee-handle' chuck wrench on the (Yes, an Atlas) chuck,
if you use the 'Portnoy's Complaint Method' (three fingers spinning the
wrench), you can move it just as fast as any of those except the dumb
idea of driving it with a power drill!

I mean, why? The only time you really need FAST chucking and de-chucking
is when you're doing production cut-off work. Then you need a QA chuck,
not a scroll chuck!

Lloyd

And using a drill on a 4 jaw as well. Maybe the 4 jaw is a hobby grade
version - and acts as a 3. 4 jaws should have all 4 independent
allowing offsetting and very good centering.

I have a Sheldon 11-44 with 3 and 4 jaw chucks. A wood lathe with 3, 4
and another special 4 jaw.

Martin