Roger

Default Madrone (madrona) experience?

Brian,
I have turned all sizes of Madrone. It works wonderfully with sharp
tools when green. Rough it out to 10% wall thickness (10" equals 1"
wall) cut the tenon in the bottom for gripping with a chuck. Then
boil the blank in a pot for two hours. Gorilla glue will seperate in
the boiling water so don't try a glue block. Let it sit it the water
until the water cools to room temperature. Then take it out and let
the blank dry. If you get surface mold, wipe the surface with a 5:1
dilution of bleach. When it has dried sufficeintly, return the blank
to lathe and it finishes up as a beautiful bowl. I've also turned to
final thickness before boiling but the piece will go 'oval' on you.
Good luck. If you don't want it I'll be glad to take it.
Roger