Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default lathe help

newbie - hobbyist here,
I was grinding a hardened shaft on my lathe with appropriate rags covering
everything to protect the lathe from the grinding dust.The lead screw
snagged the corner of one of the rags and pulled it out from under the
grinder dumping all the crud it had collected onto the lead screw and
thread dial. I stopped and disengaged the thread dial. Then I used a
squirt bottle (dish detergent type) with #1 fuel oil to deluge the lead
screw and thread dial several times. Turning the dial with my fingers,
it still feels like I'm lapping a valve in an engine. Any suggestions as
to what else I can do to get it cleaned? Thanks in advance.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...lp-609847-.htm