Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Hey Iggy - stepper motors ?

prodded the keyboard

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:07:40 -0600, Ignoramus8636

On 2015-01-30, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com
wrote:
Um... I didn't say they were. They can be made INTO servos quite
easily, and if you have an application that won't mind the
inherent backlash in the geartrain, they're quite powerful and
quite inexpensive for the torque they'll put out.

My own thinking is, if you are smart enought to make a servo out of
a wiper motor and adapt it to a milling machine, you should be able
to make enough money in less time to simply buy proper equipment.

+2 on that. Decent low cost steppers af reasonable power are
readily available at reasonable cost, and stepper drivers are
likewize easily available. When you are done you have something that
works properly and looks like it will.

To put a decent decoder on a wiper motor takes some hacking. Do you
put the encoder on the motor shaft, or on the output gear? On the
motor shaft gives much higher resolution, but requires a lot more
hacking (physically) to get to the motor shaft.

No just take the output from the DRO scale.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.