Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_8_] Carl Ijames[_8_] is offline

Default Household programmable thermostat needed.

"gary" wrote in message ...

Looking for a thermostat that will allow the temp to be set up or
down temporarily, and after an interval, will reset to the
pre-programmed temp.

Also, to enable/disable the whole house fan, then also, after an
interval, reset to programmed value.

Not finding what I need on the internet, probably because I don't know
what it's called or described.

thanks

gary

The first part is standard on most programmable thermostats. In the US
Honeywell seems to be the quality leader (IMHO), and readily available in
the $50-100 range at Lowes and Home Depot. Usually you can program in 4
different temps per day, and either 5/2, or for a bit more $ 5/1/1 (5 days
lumped together for Mon-Fri then either 2 together for the weekend or
individual control over Sat and Sun). Once programmed and started you can
manually adjust the set point up or down, and it will hold that new set
point until the next time step in the program, when it will revert to the
program. There is also a "Hold" button which lock in the manual adjustment
until you explicitly release it and return to the programming. So, that is
the first part you want, and most of the readily available brands work as I
described. The problem is the fan control. I have not found any that allow
control of the fan beyond the usual "auto" and "on" choices, where it comes
on with the heat or cooling and goes back off when the temp set point is
reached, or it is simply on forever until you go back to auto. I would
really like to be able to program in say 15 minutes of fan every few hours,
just to freshen up the air on those days or nights where the outside temp is
close enough to the set point that the heat or cooling may only run once or
twice in 8 hours, but I have never found a commercial unit that allows fan
programming. Good luck, and if you find something please post it.

Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames aat deletethis verizon dott net