Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default And today's project ...

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 16:39:44 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

But I'm retired now and have the time . Actually ,
after it's all in and growing I do little but monitor plant health
and pull weeds/grasses . I have just over 500 SF in my garden , and
am practicing

500s/f is a lot of garden, Terry! Are you (I almost said "Is the old
lady...") canning it?

The agreement was that I'd grow and pick , she'd can or freeze . Didn't
exactly work out that way ... she does most of the canning except for the
actual processing , I do most of the freezer stuff . And she'll do jam , but
I do jelly - and wine ... I need to start another batch of muscadine wine ,
there's still like 5 gallons in the freezer and 3 of blackberries .

some pretty intensive cropping . Stuff is close together , makes it
easier to keep weeds down as the crops shade them .

Intensive is good. BUT, it can be interesting finding plants which
will grow well in the shade of other plants. I found out this year
that Japanese eggplant wants FULL HARD SUN. The arrogant bastids must
think they're tomatoes, or something.

I tried eggplants last year , they didn't do well . The way I've got it
laid out everything that needs full sun gets at least 6-8 hours a day .
Tallest stuff is closer to the northeast tree line (except strawberries and
by the time they're shaded they'll be done producing) , so by about 10 AM
it's all in the sun . Rows are oriented nw to se , and the land slopes down
slightly to the west . Most everything will get at least decent sunlight
until just before sundown , the trees to the west are smaller in addition to
being downhill . My biggest mistake last year was to let the beans grow over
onto the tomato cages , both suffered decreased yields .
It's been a learning curve the first couple of years , but last year was
better than the first and I expect this year to better yet . Well , the
strawberries alone will make it better .

Snag

Got tomatoes , basil , and oregano sprouting already , just planted them
on Saturday . Tomorrow I hang the grow lights .