Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Elastomer versus steel springs?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:36:24 +0000, John Doe wrote:

Anybody do the research? I will look around. I guess "elastomer" is
another name for plastic. Generally speaking... Is it durable as steel
for Springs?
I'm thinking about the elastomer springs on a bicycle seat/saddle. They
might require less rigid structure than steel springs, so maybe there's
less chance of them breaking off of the saddle.

"Elastomer" is High Falutin for rubber, urethane, etc.

AFAIK there's a lot of opportunity to make things better as well as a lot
of opportunity to screw things up -- there's a huge range of available
materials, they'll be more likely than steel to not age well, and you'll
need to select one that withstands the elements.

But, having said all that -- who knows, it may work great.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services