Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Best glue for aluminum?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 09:13:14 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
I do a lot with 6061 aluminum, without welding.

I'm expert at superglue. It's okay. Been trying Gorilla Glue. Even with
the
surfaces sanded and clamped for 24 hours, seems it isn't even good as
superglue. Maybe I haven't given it enough effort?

What's the best glue for aluminum?

Thanks.

Lord 406/19 a two part acrylic.

a lot more expensive than super glue, but hands down the best thing I've
ever used for aluminum.

with intelligent joint design, you could assemble bookshelves with the
stuff.

Paul K. Dickman

I don't know that glue, but the properties look awfully good,
especially for use in a small shop without any equipment. It sounds
like it's formulated to give good peel strength, which is very
important in any metal-to-metal bonding.

I'd like to know how they get away with an aluminum prep that just
amounts to wiping with isoprpyl alcohol.

--
Ed Huntress

Not sure.
I was introduced to the stuff 10-12 years ago.
A photographer I know was having large (3'x4') prints mounted on 12g
aluminum sheets and creating a standoff and mounting system by gluing 3/4"
square extrusions to the back. The sign company that was doing the work
didn't want to do the fiddly bit so they told her what glue to use and she
gave it to me.

I called an engineer at the company and asked him what sort of prep I needed
to do and he said "Don't worry about it. The stuff is specifically designed
to work with dirty metal. As long as it ain't greasy or dusty, it'll stick
it together."

About a year later, I used the leftover glue (technically out of date) to
put together some frames out of 1 3/4" anodized angle for another client.
Simply cut them square, lapped one leg over the other and glued a short
piece of angle an the inside angle that didn't lap.

I was going to add rivets, but after I did a 2 ft sq. test piece, I decided
the rivets would be a waste of time.

I still have the test piece. A decade later, you can still sit on it and
rock back and forth.

I have no problem recommending their products to anyone.

The adhesive does give off a strong sickly sweet smell when it is curing.
Have ventilation handy.

Paul K. Dickman