Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Best glue for aluminum?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 09:13:14 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
I do a lot with 6061 aluminum, without welding.

I'm expert at superglue. It's okay. Been trying Gorilla Glue. Even with
the
surfaces sanded and clamped for 24 hours, seems it isn't even good as
superglue. Maybe I haven't given it enough effort?

What's the best glue for aluminum?

Thanks.

Lord 406/19 a two part acrylic.

a lot more expensive than super glue, but hands down the best thing I've
ever used for aluminum.

with intelligent joint design, you could assemble bookshelves with the
stuff.

Paul K. Dickman

I don't know that glue, but the properties look awfully good,
especially for use in a small shop without any equipment. It sounds
like it's formulated to give good peel strength, which is very
important in any metal-to-metal bonding.

I'd like to know how they get away with an aluminum prep that just
amounts to wiping with isoprpyl alcohol.

--
Ed Huntress