Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_4_] Phil Kangas[_4_] is offline

Default Stuck batteries..

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 22:57:45 -0600, Tim Wescott

wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 16:21:16 -0500, Phil Kangas
wrote:

I've been handed a nice mag-lite with LED bulb
and the batteries leaked
and are now stuck in place. Perhaps this has
come up before here but how
can they be removed?
So far I tried soaking them in PFM then
pulling on them with a screw and
pliers. No luck, no movement at all. Before I
step it up a notch what do
you say about this? The bulb end is easily
removed and down in there is
a thin snap ring that could be a challenge to
remove. If that comes out
perhaps the batteries can be driven out
instead of pulled? It's a very
nice flashlight and worth working on.
phil k.

You _did_ try rapping the thing sharply on a
wood block, yes? Sometimes
inertia is your friend.

Pull the spring out of the butt cap and then
screw the buttcap back in
and SLAM!! it down on the buttcap on something
firmly mounted. Like a
piece of plywood on a concrete walkway or anvil

SLAM! Hah! That could be an enjoyable procedure to
try in case
the easier attempts don't work. heh heh ... I'll
be back in the shop
today and have another go at it thanks to the
advice offered here.
I like to start politely and respectfully then
bump it up a notch at a
time till the SLAMMING satisfies me. ;)}
phil k.

Do it a dozen times and it will often start the
batteries moving.
Been there, done that.

Oh..and put some vasiline or silicone grease on
every thread you can
find on the flashlite.

Gunner