Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.mobile.ipad,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_3_] nospam[_3_] is offline

Default What's the best 120VAC wall outlet with two full power USB ports of at least 20 Watts?

In article , Danny D.
wrote:

I ask: Will USB ports be de rigueur 30 years from now?
Plug ins are cheap. I'd prefer to use them.

I don't know the answer, but USB is certainly here for the
next five years, so, for the bedroom and office, where you
are very likely to plug in a USB-powered device, it makes
economic sense (at least to me), to pop in a 2-port 20-Watt
outlet in key areas.

usb type a/b connectors will be replaced by the new reversible usb type
c connector long before 5 years, and not just because it's reversible.

it offers many other benefits, such as supporting up to 100w power and
10gig speeds. a laptop would be able to charge off usb, much like a
phone does now.

Besides, the outlet actually costs (slightly) less than a
similar spec'd external charger, so, if you need a charger,
and it's for a static location, I don't see the advantage
of the wall wort style charger over the receptacle style.

it's a lot easier to change a charger as technology changes than it is
a wall outlet, as well as carry it with you while traveling.

that's why you'll see a *lot* more chargers for sale and not very many
wall outlet chargers.

the wall outlet chargers make sense in industrial settings, such as
airports, hotels, schools, etc.