Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater questions

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 12:34:31 -0800, Jennifer Murphy
wrote:

It looks like our water heater might be on its last legs. before I order
a new one, I thought I'd check out what the plumber told me.

What is the life expectancy of a good quality water heater?

What is a good quality water heater? Does the brand/model make that much
difference?

The heater is installed in an unheated basement room in a mild climate
(rarely under 40F and seldoim under 50F). Does having it wrapped in an
insulating pad matter much?

Anything else I should know before deciding on a new heater?

Thanks so much

Gas or electric???
I've found it's generally worth while buying the higher waranty unit
- the extra life is greater than the extra proportional cost due to
more anodes and better lining, as well as brass drain valves instead
of plastic and other details.
My GSW lasted 20 years. 4 years in now on GE.