Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default (Auto) Seatbelt Extender Question

The seatbelt on my 95 Chevy pickup truck.

The buckle part is right against the crack in the seat, and can not be
pulled up further. It's not rigid, so it turns side to side. To buckle
it, I have to literally twist my whole body while pulling on it, so I
can SEE the slot to put it in. In warmer weather, this is not too bad.
In cold weather while I am wearing a thick winter coat, not only does
the coat block my view of the buckle but also makes it hard to twist
myself, not to mention I have some back problems that can make it
painful to twist in that manner.

Anyhow, it sometimes takes me several minutes to get that thing clicked,
and our local small town cops, just watch for seat belt violators to
hand out costly tickets (they got nothing better to do). So, I am
constantly getting annoyed by it. I think it was very poorly designed!

I googled "seat belt" and noticed that there are things called "Seat
Belt Extenders". Lots of them on Ebay, and elsewhere. They are
basically a short piece of seatbelt (most are about one foot long), with
a snap on one end, and buckle on the other end.

This looks like it would solve my problem, since I could get the buckle
in FRONT OF ME, (on my lap), not deep down next to me, where it's hard
to see and manuver.

I'm posting this to ask if anyone else has used them? My biggest
concern is whether the entire belt will be too long with this added????
I'm an average weight. I think these are made more for overweight large
people.

Honestly, I really dont care much of the seatbelt fits me real well. I
personally find them to be more of a pain than useful. But I dont want
to get ticketed which I last heard is around a $200 fine. So my main
concern is just to satisfy the law, which is presently very hard to do,
if I'm only driving a few blocks while running errands.

I'd rather spent $10 or $15 for one of these than get a $200 ticket.