Posted to alt.home.repair
Retirednoguilt Retirednoguilt is offline

Default Need help understanding very old natural gas furnace

On 1/5/2015 12:41 AM, Tyler Wood wrote:
Hey! It worked!

Sorry for the delay, I left to go to dinner (but I turned the gas off
first!).

I read through all the responses and the insistence that there must
be some burner control led me to spend a few minutes running my hands
all around it to search for anything else. After not finding
anything, I decided to experiment more with the one control I did
find inside the panel.

The little valve in there -- when it is turned all the way pointing
towards me does indeed turn the burner off, but at an intermediate
angle I could hear a hissing from inside the vent, so I stuck my
lighter in there and it all lit up.

Thanks for all the words of caution though, I'll only run this while
I'm awake and get my room nice and toasty before turning all the
valves to off and falling asleep.

For some of the other questions -- no make or model, this apt is
quite old (early 19xx) and I'd imagine so is this space heater. Also,
the thing is one solid unit, nothing comes apart, only the one little
door opens. Lastly, there is a large ceramic plate in the front of it
that you can see through the front grill. And oh yeah, the ethernet
cord, it wasn't routed through, but since I never anticipated using
the thing I was not cautious about what cluttered up around it. It's
all cleared now though.

Pictu http://imgur.com/lVdH1v8

Make all of us safety conscious types feel better and don't use that
thing much at all until and unless you go to your favorite big box store
and get a carbon monoxide detector for the room where your space heater
is. Just because it is supposedly vented to the outside doesn't mean
that you can't have problems with CO, especially with such old hardware.
In any case, if you find yourself getting at all drowsy, nauseated,
confused, dizzy, or otherwise feeling unwell, turn the gas completely
off, open the windows and doors, and go outside for at least 1/2 hour
and let the room thoroughly ventilate. If you don't feel better after
that time or are feeling worse, seek emergency medical care. Better
safe than dead.