Posted to alt.home.repair
Tyler Wood Tyler Wood is offline

Default Need help understanding very old natural gas furnace

Hey! It worked!

Sorry for the delay, I left to go to dinner (but I turned the gas off first!).

I read through all the responses and the insistence that there must be some burner control led me to spend a few minutes running my hands all around it to search for anything else. After not finding anything, I decided to experiment more with the one control I did find inside the panel.

The little valve in there -- when it is turned all the way pointing towards me does indeed turn the burner off, but at an intermediate angle I could hear a hissing from inside the vent, so I stuck my lighter in there and it all lit up.

Thanks for all the words of caution though, I'll only run this while I'm awake and get my room nice and toasty before turning all the valves to off and falling asleep.

For some of the other questions -- no make or model, this apt is quite old (early 19xx) and I'd imagine so is this space heater. Also, the thing is one solid unit, nothing comes apart, only the one little door opens. Lastly, there is a large ceramic plate in the front of it that you can see through the front grill. And oh yeah, the ethernet cord, it wasn't routed through, but since I never anticipated using the thing I was not cautious about what cluttered up around it. It's all cleared now though.

Pictu http://imgur.com/lVdH1v8