Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default Need help understanding very old natural gas furnace

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 18:13:16 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

hrhoffman is tight , it's technically a space heater , and a big one .

How do you know he's TIGHT ?

OK , when you open the main gas valve , you should have gas coming out the
pilot - the small thing you circled . The valve inside the heater is the
main burner valve , and you can regulate the flame size with it .
THIS HEATER HAS NO SAFETY SHUTOFFS !! IF THE FLAME GOES OUT YOU'RE GOING
TO BE POURING GAS INTO THE ROOM , AND YOU WILL EITHER BLOW UP THE BUILDING
OR DIE FROM THE GAS . DO NOT BURN THIS HEATER WHILE SLEEPING OR WHILE NOT AT
HOME !!
--
Snag

This must be a REAL OLD heater. I had to take a second look at the
pics. It dont even have a thermocouple and pilot push button to light
it. I would not want to use that for regular heating, but for
occasional use, I suppose it's ok, but needs to be watched. I'd be
inclined to either replace it, or take a water heater control and rig in
into the piping so that there is a thermocouple controlling the pilot.
I dont like the idea of this not shutting off the gas if the pilot goes
out. It probably would not be that hard to modify, but I know what I;m
doing, so I wont recommend anyone else to do it.

That screw where the gas pipe connects, is to adjust the pilot flame
size.

When the outdoor temp rises, I'd shut off the gas entirely to it.

I believe the OP said he has a landlord. If it was mine, I'd ask the
landlord to get something newer, and explain why. It probably violates
the hme insurance too. You should be able to get a newer (used) heater
fairly cheap.