Posted to alt.home.repair
Tyler Wood Tyler Wood is offline

Default Need help understanding very old natural gas furnace

Hello all,

In my struggle to find somewhere affordable and convenient to live, I decided to forego some 'luxuries' like central heat/air, after all the weather is pretty mild where I live.

We've hit a bit of a cold spell though, and my 100 year old windows offer no help to the dinky electrical space heater I thought would suffice, so I'm looking at this old natural gas furnace that's been sitting in the corner of my room and wishing I had asked my landlord about it before he left for a while.

Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/OJdKp

There is no electrical cord involved (though an ethernet cable can be seen in some pictures)

My inclination (assuming no one talks me out of it, is to open up the main gas valve, and fiddle with the little internal valve while trying to light the pilot light, but after that I have no idea what to do or expect, so any insight is appreciated.