Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default water attachment on bidet

On Thursday, January 1, 2015 7:23:07 PM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
I have a pvc pipe glued to a flawcet type connection as show on the HomeDepot site.

As shown where on HD? The only link I saw was to the bidet and that shows
a conventional metal shutoff.

Instead of being able to disconnect the water supply line to attach the T connect, I can't because the facet and hose is one unit.

K, that's what I figured. I've never seen one, sounds like a really bad
idea to have the toilet supply tubing part of a plastic shutoff that is
glued to the pipe coming out of the wall.

I could cut the pvc pipe, and replace the connection with a two piece attachment (having a facet and a threaded hose) that allows for this attachment, but I worry that I don't have too much pipe, maybe 1/2 inch to play with.

You need enough to seat fully in the new plastic fitting that you would
use. You can measure and know for sure. If there is enough, I would
cut the pipe and replace what's there.

I also worry that if I mess this up, I could have a leak. I guess you use epoxy to glue metal to PVC piping.

You use PVC solvent and PVC cement to glue a PVC fitting on to the pipe
coming out of the wall. There are fittings that have male pipe threads
on one end. That's probably what you need, followed by a new metal shut
off valve, then your tee, then a new supply tube to the toilet. I say
probably, because there are other issues, like an escutcheon plate going
over what's there to cover up where the pipe comes out of the wall.
Whatever you do there, you need an escutcheon that will fit, etc. Also,
if there is room, I'd probably glue a coupling on the pipe stub coming
out, extend it out a few inches, then the male adapter. That gives you
some more pipe to work with if it needs rework in the future.

I thought that one could buy a 7/8 male to female T attachment which fits under the water tank easily.

Apparently you can, you found one on Amazon, no?

I'm still wondering about my most basic question. Is this thing even
usable? On the HD description, it says it's for use with "ambient water".
You're hooking it up to a cold water pipe, which is how it's apparently
intended to be used. They probably say "ambient" because to say "cold
water", would give you a better idea of what you're actually going to get
and then they couldn't sell it.