Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default My Surround Sound Has Creashed!

On 12/31/2014 6:56 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Peter wrote:

The OP's problem could be related to an unstable HDMI handshake
either between the FIOS box and the AV Receiver or between the AV
Receiver and the TV. Although HDMI handshake problems usually
present as the blank blue or purple screen, HDMI also provides
audio signal and I can imagine an unstable handshake possibly
affecting the audio (although it doesn't account for the change in
TV channel observed by the OP).

I had all sorts of video and audio problems when I used my AV
receiver with the traditional hook-up (as described below) in
conjunction with a FIOS STB. That was also the hook-up recommended
in the manual for my AV Receiver. By simple experimentation, I
found a different hook-up that provides no problems with either.

My hook-up: HDMI output of FIOS STB directly to an HDMI input on
the TV. Optical audio output from TV directly to optical audio
input of AV Receiver. Other connected devices with HDMI outputs
(Roku, DVD, and free-standing DVR) likewise connected directly to
TV's other HDMI inputs. Input selected with TV's input selector,
not AV Receiver's input selector - which remains on "TV".
Configure settings of AV Receiver to activate the specific optical
audio input being fed from the TV. The OP may want to try this
hook-up and see if it works better with his equipment.

Hi, Yes, in multi device environment sequence of powering up each
device can be an issue. Also there are different version of HDMI
specs. I always program my remote to power up receiver first and STB
or Blue ray player or network streaming device and then power up
HDTV. I give about few seconds wait time for receiver to come up
fully ready to hand shake. Your set up is unusual. HDMI cable carries
audio/video, how come use extra digital audio cable? My HDTV has only
one HDMI cable coming from receiver and just power cord. Nothing else
connects to TV set.

Sorry for any lack of clarity in what I wrote above. Yes, I realize
that my setup is unusual, but it solved the video distortion and blank
screen problems I was having when using the more typical setup.

My current setup only requires one HDMI handshake (between the TV and
the device providing the audio/video input). I know that HDMI carries
both audio and video and for many setups it works without problem. The
redundant optical audio connection (via TOSlink) between HDTV audio
output and AV receiver audio input as well as the connection of HDMI
input sources directly to my HDTV uses my AV receiver only as a
traditional audio amplifier rather than as a combined audio
amplifier/input switch, but most important for me, eliminates the second
HDMI handshake (i.e. the interposition of the AV receiver between the
HDMI input sources and the HDTV). It's no more work when I select my
input using the TV's input selection function versus the AV receiver's
input selection function. By the way, through the magic of HDMI,
regardless of input source, the volume is controlled at the AV receiver
even when I use the TV's remote or the STB's remote, and turning on/off
the TV automatically turns on the AV Receiver.

Bottom line: Try an alternate setup if the first one is problematic.