Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Electric Panel Question - two v one panels

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:16:12 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
Another interesting related question to Tim's concern about lack of
overcurrent protection is this. Let's make it simple, just a meter that
is outside and a panel that is outside. AFAIK, it's OK under code for the
service conductors to run any distance *outside* from the meter to the panel.
Meaning you could have the panel 40 ft from the meter, with no overcurrent
protection in between. Not suggesting that I would do it that way, that
it's a good idea if there are other obvious ways of doing it, etc, just
that from what I know of the code, I think it's compliant.

Gfre, am I right on that?

No, according to one of the links I posted earlier, that distance depends on meeting some criteria for ampacity and protection of the wiring. There are three possibilities: wiring under 10 feet, wiring under 25 feet, and unlimited length, and these can all be done without overcurrent protection BUT not without meeting some additional conditions.

Provided those conditions are met overcurrent protection is not needed, I was wrong on that point.