Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default about speakers and impedance

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 10:00:06 AM UTC-5, Pico Rico wrote:
"Pico Rico" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 23:19:22 -0500, wrote:

OK, lets get something straight. Impedence is NOT just a test or a
number. Impedence is the AC version of resistance. It is a measure of
the load placed on a circuit.
Say an amplifier outputs 20 volts and can handle a maximum of 5 amps
output. That is 100 watts PP output. If the speaker has a 4 ohm
impedence, at 20 volts it will draw 5 amps for 100 watts pp power
output
If you have an 8 ohm speaker, it will only draw 2.5 amps, which will
only ouput 50 watts.
If on the other hand you connect a 2 ohm speaker to that amplifier it
will draw 10 amps - which will overload the amplifier, and if the
amplifier is capable of pumping out the required 10 amps, it will
produce 200 watts, and fry the speaker.

Always err on the side of too much impedence rather than too little.

Connecting speakers in series, you add the two impedences together. If
you connect them in parallel you reduce the impedence.Rt= 1(1/R2)=
1(1/R2) - so 2 8 ohm speakers in series is 16 ohms, and in parallel
is 4 ohms. A 4 ohm and a 8 ohm in series is 12 ohms and in parallel =
2.66 ohms.

So the OP with a speaker with 2 6 ohm drivers would connect the 2 in
series to get 12 ohms of impedence to connect to the amplifier
designed for 6 ohm speakers and will get reduced output but will not
damage either the speakers or the amp.

This thread brings up something I've wondered for a long time. Back
around the 1950s and 60s, they used 70 volt (primary) transformers at
EACH speaker in a large building, such as an auditorium, or when
speakers sent a signal to rooms all over a school or factory. These
smallish transformers had a 70volt primary and the secondary usually had
a ground, with 4, 8, and 16 ohms, which went to usually just one
speaker. All those 70volt lines went back to the source amplifier,
which had a 70 volt output, coming from the amplifier's outpit
transformer, (and there was usually also at least an 8 ohm output as
well on the amp.

Anyhow, these amplifiers were high power vacuum tube amps, and had some
massive output transformers.

Back then, I played around with a lot of electronics, and got my hands
on several of those old tube amps, and a coffee can full of those (at
the speaker) 70v transformers. I learned at that time, that the reason
they did the system that way, was because there would be too much loss
running an 8 ohm line for hundreds of feet, as well as serious impedence
problems, if there were 10 or 20 speakers around the building (which
makes sense).

What I never did fully understand is whether the number of transformers
placed onto the amplifier's output could overload the amp, if too many
were used?????

My other question is whether they still use those 70volt transformers on
modern semi-conductor amplifiers, and if so, how would they derive 70v
from a bank of output power transistors, since they dont have audio
output transformers anymore?

yes. see, for example:

http://www.crownaudio.com/.../138905...nt_voltage.pdf

I give up. I don't know why friggin google gives "..." when trying to copy
and paste a link. Search for "138905-1_10-05_constant_voltage.pdf" and you
will find it.

friggin google!

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/...nt_voltage.pdf

Not sure what's going on by you. I just copied and pasted the link from
internet explorer to google groups and it worked.

Anyway, it does address what the poster was asking about.