Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Fluorescent lamp switch

On 12/31/2014 12:44 AM, Larry wrote:
replying to User Example, Larry wrote:
user wrote:

It is actually one of those magnifying glass lamps like on workbench
tables. It's a nice one so I want to fix the lamp if I can. I took
the broken switch apart to see what is wrong and how it works. The
button had a piece broken off and it is missing so I can't fix it.
The switch similar to described above. There are two parts actually.
One part turns on or off each time the button is pressed via a
ratcheting spinner. The 2nd part turns on only momentarily when the
switch is pressed.
I have seen 3 position toggle switches with the 3rd position spring
loaded. If I could find one of those I could make it work. I tried
looking in digi-key but didnt see one, though.

Hi, I have the same kind of lamp with the same problem. It has a 22w
circline round fluorescent bulb. I finally found a switch after having the
lamp tore apart for a long time and now I can't remember how to wire it
back up. My switch has 4 contacts, socket has 2 blk and 2 white wires and
of course 1 white and 1 black feed. Do you have any idea where I can find
a wiring diagram for this setup. Thanks, Larry

Yes, I too have one of those magnifiers and hate that kind of switch.
But you just reminded me, I have 3 electronic ballasts which could be
used for this lamp ... no starting needed and the ballast, actually a
switching high voltage power supply, ionizes the gasses without
starting. I'll have to see if I can retrofit one into the magnifier.

---