Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Treehouse bridge update: one section blew down in the Californiastorms

On 12/31/2014 4:23 AM, Danny D. wrote:
The third section blew down in the California storms.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7511/1...6a237edc_c.jpg

It was just the frame, and a few deck timbers:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7478/1...ec573ed9_c.jpg

Apparently the mistake was to attach it here to the redwood:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7515/1...3135617f_c.jpg

These two smaller redwoods apparently bowed to the sides:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7541/1...27bc211f_c.jpg

We had only the far end attached to the steel cable:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8658/1...9ac90178_c.jpg

So, we think the mistake was to trust the redwoods and not attach
the close end to the overhead steel cable, and also that we had
attached the far ends to the cable temporarily with just rope,
which broke when the redwoods splayed out in the winds.

What we think happened was:
1. The redwoods splayed outward, pulling the boards out.
2. The close end fell downward putting pressure on the far end.
3. The rope on the right side of the far end broke under stress
tumbling the boards to the steep hillside below:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7478/1...ec573ed9_c.jpg

We still can't get the dog out onto the bridge yet, though:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7536/1...5aedd4e3_b.jpg

Your mistake was using multiple trees. Had you made the tree house using
one it would survive, putting it between trees that naturally sway is
well, disregarding that fact. Poor design.

--
Jeff