Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How do you debu low suction in a central vacuum system?

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 2:43:39 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote, on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 23:00:20 -0700:

How many outlets do you have? Tried them all?

There are at least a half dozen, and, I've tried most of them.
I can try more, but, I don't think it's the outlet itself.
They're all closed though (but I'm not sure what you're getting
at).

What he's getting at is are you sure one of them isn't stuck open?

You can also get a feel for the amount of suction at each by turning
the system on manually and then trying to lift each of the outlet
covers. If it's working properly there should be lots of suction,
it should be difficult to lift open the cover. IDK how your central
unit works, but on mine there is switch at the unit that I can use to
turn it on. If not, the systems typically use a Xformer with low
voltage and rely on the hose shorting the contacts at the outlet to
turn it on. I'd also be listening and looking at all the exposed
plumbing when it's running. Since you have good airflow out, I agree
it sounds like a break.

Ultimately it may come down to just cutting at select points to isolate
off major sections until you track it down. It's just plastic PVC pipe
and you can glue it back together. Hopefully it's not in a wall somewhere.
If there are any easy targets, like maybe the unit connects with a clamp,
you could disconnect there to verify that you have vacuum.

Someone mentioned a vacuum relief valve possibly being installed somewhere.
Forget about that, they don't exist.

No utility outlet on the unit?

If you mean electricity, every single one has an electrical
outlet within a foot (since the vacuum beater brush runs
off of electricity); but the vacuum itself doesn't need
electrical outlets, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7533/1...abc9b313_b.jpg