external usenet poster

Default Electric Panel Question - two v one panels

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 11:16:27 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:31:45 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
And again, if it's an NEC code violation to have two main panels
like this is wired, I'd be happy to see the cite of the applicable
section.

I'm not a code expert. In my opinion it is not a code violation to have two panels.

It is a code violation to have a circuit not protected by a breaker.

If something goes wrong IN the pool area, it will trip one of the six breakers.

If something goes wrong in the line between the "main" panel and the pool area, there is nothing for it to trip. Well, eventually it will kick the electric companies fuse on the pole. But you REALLY do not want to wait for that to happen.

Last time we had this argument I looked up fault current. A 30 Amp breaker on a 200 Amp panel will trip pretty fast, you'll get a bolted fault current of 3-4000 amps but it's gone in less than a cycle. You don't have any breaker in this line, so you have to wait for the power company fuse to blow, and they can dump 20,000 Amps.

When we bought our house we had them upgrade the main panel. It did not have protection between the meter and panel, and that part of the circuit was under the house. It was grandfathered, but when we upgraded we had to supply an additional breaker after the meter but before the circuit. Code required it.

I really think this is a simple fix, the pool guys just put their wire on the supply side instead of the load side by mistake.

The pool guys were DEFINITELY not electricians to make that mistake.
You can guarantee there was no permit and no inspection either.