Posted to alt.home.repair
Alvaro Martinez Alvaro Martinez is offline

Default about speakers and impedance

Tony Hwang wrote:
Alvaro Martinez wrote:
Hi All,
This is the first time I post here, I apologize if this has been
discussed before. I like to tinker with equipment but my knowledge is
basic at best, and it advances along with the problems I get to solve

To get straight to the point of the problem I need to solve:

I have a Panasonic SC-AK45 system, which is having some issues with
random "cuts" in its sound (sub-second interruptions, no distortion,
just lack of sound), and I am not experienced enough to figure out if it
is because bad cables, speakers, or the system itself.

I have the speakers for an old AIWA stereo system, their tags say their
impedance is 6Ω, which is the same I can read in the Panasonic speakers.
However, the Panasonic speakers have two pairs of cables, one for high
and another for low frequency, and the manual says the following:

"if you connect speakers with an impedance of 6Ω each and plug them into
the log and high terminals, you will only have a combined impedance of
3Ω"

I want to connect the AIWA speakers to the Panasonic system, to find out
if the speakers are the problem. So the questions for the group a

1. What would be the safest way to plug these speakers?
2. Any other thing I should check?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Sounds like to me sound is cutting out because Panasonic is over driven
(playing too loud) or impedance is too low for the unit. Most often
nominal impedance for those kinda device is 4 or higher Ohms. Good high
quality amps can take as low as 2 Ohms but I don't think that Panasonic
is really high end device. Lower the playing volume and see what happens
or use higher impedance speakers. If it keeps happening the amp may burn
up. Impedance is one thing but you have to watch Wattage rating too ie.
how much power it can take. Low impedance can draw more
current from the device destroying the speaker when amp is not designed
for that.

Thanks for all your replies, I will read them carefully and try what you
are suggesting.

Just wanted to add two comments: First, the problem occurs even when the
volume is low (maybe at 20% of the maximum).
Second, these are old systems, I don't know exactly because I got them
both from relatives, but they are probably 15 years old or so, and
mid-tier at best. I don't want to get them working as if they were new,
just want to avoid having to throw it away, or spending $200+ in a new one.

Regards