Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] KLayton888@aol.com is offline

Default about speakers and impedance

On Monday, December 29, 2014 10:38:51 AM UTC-8, Alvaro Martinez wrote:
Hi All,
This is the first time I post here, I apologize if this has been
discussed before. I like to tinker with equipment but my knowledge is
basic at best, and it advances along with the problems I get to solve

To get straight to the point of the problem I need to solve:

I have a Panasonic SC-AK45 system, which is having some issues with
random "cuts" in its sound (sub-second interruptions, no distortion,
just lack of sound), and I am not experienced enough to figure out if it
is because bad cables, speakers, or the system itself.

I have the speakers for an old AIWA stereo system, their tags say their
impedance is 6Ω, which is the same I can read in the Panasonic speakers.
However, the Panasonic speakers have two pairs of cables, one for high
and another for low frequency, and the manual says the following:

"if you connect speakers with an impedance of 6Ω each and plug them into
the log and high terminals, you will only have a combined impedance of 3Ω"

I want to connect the AIWA speakers to the Panasonic system, to find out
if the speakers are the problem. So the questions for the group a

1. What would be the safest way to plug these speakers?
2. Any other thing I should check?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a question for the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup.