Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default about speakers and impedance

On Monday, December 29, 2014 1:38:51 PM UTC-5, Alvaro Martinez wrote:
Hi All,
This is the first time I post here, I apologize if this has been
discussed before. I like to tinker with equipment but my knowledge is
basic at best, and it advances along with the problems I get to solve

To get straight to the point of the problem I need to solve:

I have a Panasonic SC-AK45 system, which is having some issues with
random "cuts" in its sound (sub-second interruptions, no distortion,
just lack of sound), and I am not experienced enough to figure out if it
is because bad cables, speakers, or the system itself.

I have the speakers for an old AIWA stereo system, their tags say their
impedance is 6Ω, which is the same I can read in the Panasonic speakers.
However, the Panasonic speakers have two pairs of cables, one for high
and another for low frequency, and the manual says the following:

"if you connect speakers with an impedance of 6Ω each and plug them into
the log and high terminals, you will only have a combined impedance of 3Ω"

I want to connect the AIWA speakers to the Panasonic system, to find out
if the speakers are the problem. So the questions for the group a

1. What would be the safest way to plug these speakers?
2. Any other thing I should check?

Thanks in advance!

The stereo you apparently had came with speakers and has the crossover
network in the unit and it sends separate wires to the speaker elements.
Better and more typical stereo gear relies on the crossover being in the speakers. You could probably hook one of your other speakers to the
high side on the left, the other to the low side on the left. Run the
stereo that way, then repeat on the right side.

The comment about 6 ohms becoming 3 ohms isn't clear, but I would expect
that they probably mean if you took your one 6 ohm speaker and connected
it to both high and low outputs in parallel. I would think they would
have just said not to use regular speakers.

Even with the existing speakers, can't you turn the balance one way or the
other, see if the problem persists? If it does, it's most likely not that
both speakers have failed with the same problem. The stereo failures I've
had, when it was intermittent like that, it was never the speakers. More
likely a loose cable connection or something shot in the unit.