Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default Stock up on Fuses BEFORE the Holiday

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:50:33 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

upgrade to breakers, adding safety, convenience, plus homes that
still have fuses are near impossible to sell, you cant get homewners
insurance on homes that still have breakers

While I agree about switching to breakers, my parents house was sold
after my mother passed on. They still had fuses. The house sold for a
fair price and sold within a week of listing it. She had insurance too.
While they were still alive, I offerred many times to change their
panel, (for free) but they didn't want to pay for the parts. They had
one of the old 60A mains, with 4 fuses and a range pullout. When my
uncle who was an electrician was still alive, he added a breaker panel
next to the fuse box, with 4 extra breakers. That was added when dad
built a garage, and made a room in the attic. Changing that panel would
have been real simple since almost everything from the whole house came
in thru one 3/4" EMT conduit, and another of them for the addon breaker
panel.