Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462009@gmail.com is offline

Default Ampex F4460 reel to reel.

On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:53:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm working on my old Ampex 4460 reel to reel machine. (work is slow), and I'd like to listen to some of my old tapes. I cleaned and lubricated it, demagnetized the heads and put a tape of some familiar music on, and I thought it seemed a bit slow. So I repeated it with other tapes and then followed with an Ampex frequency response alignment tape. The scope was calibrated to 1.0ms off the 1KHZ square wave output and then I looked at the the 1KHZ sine wave off the tape. The period was approximately 1.40ms which appears to translate to 714HZ. Truly hard to believe that it's running that slow, but I don't think that the equipment is lying.

So I next got out the Strobeotac and put it on the motor capstan. The motor is rated for 1850 RPM at 115V, and it's running rock solid at 1795. I tried loading it while watching the speed and it remains steady, so it doesn't appear to be a load problem. Could such a slight motor speed reduction cause a 25 percent reduction in the frequency of my 1KHZ test tone off the tape? It doesn't seem possible, but I don't know.

The motor has a label that reads that it uses a 3.0UF 330V capacitor. I haven't investigated this yet, but with four wires going into it I figure that the cap must be on the chassis somewhere. I wouldn't think that a cap problem though would cause my RPM's to drop 55RPM would it? Oh and I have no service manual, however I don't think that service manual would do me much good with this problem anyway.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd sure appreciate hearing them. Thanks, Lenny

Well I thought I'd jump back in here with an update on my progress. I ordered and installed a replacement capstan flat belt from Adams Manufacturing. After installing this belt there was no more bumping from the old misshapen belt. then, I had three pinch rollers. One is from this machine and the other two were from junkers I had in the shop. The rubber on all of them was slick but seemed pliable and I worked on two of them with sandpaper and then lacquer thinner. I finished off with rubber restorer and then cleaned them off with 99% anhydrous isopropyl. After this treatment The rollers felt a bit more "grippier" if that's the correct description but still were not what I would have liked to see. However taking a fresh look at the 1KHZ tone on the test tape with the scope immediately after installing one of the "restored" rollers showed that the machine was now running on speed. So I feel foolish to admit that it seems that I had overlooked the most basic thing, the capstan roller, as being the primary governor of speed.

So I tried a few of my old tapes to see how they sounded. Some of these tapes were 1800 ft and I noticed that they would play for a coupe of songs and then start slowing down. I had a sealed brand new roll of Scotch 206, which is a 1200 ft low noise mastering tape as it's so called. I made a fine sounding recording on this tape. Then I tried playing the 3 3/4 pre recorded Bob Dylan tape. Let me tell you when Bob Dylan is off speed there is no mistaking it. So while this was running I gently increased the take up torque with my finger and the tape seemed to sound fine as long as I kept the tension up. As soon as I relaxed it a bit the speed would waver.

So now I know that for certain I need to resolve the pinch roller issue and also I need to check the take up torque for which there is a specification in the manual. Problem is I don't have a scale for that. So I as wondering if anyone knows of a source for these type of scales, and also as I found for the capstan belt is there a generic source for replacement pinch rollers? Or as a substitute can a pinch roller be "rebuilt"?

My wife just can't understand why I've been screwing around with a 50 year old machine when she has so much other **** for me to do. But I know that you guys know and can appreciate the sense of satisfaction associated with bringing a dead body back to life. And I feel like now I'm so close. Thanks for any further advice. Lenny