Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ampex F4460 reel to reel.

Got this tape echo machine at work. Got tubes. Old. Tape runs and it was a fresh job for me. I see it has bias and audio mixing with it. It passes signal but does not echo. I think the tape is simply bad.

Anyway, it has no pinch roller. The tap goes about 1430 degrees around it though. That is apparently enough.

However O think this arraingement would cause faster tape deterioration due to more bending. Isn't the straightest path the best ? (for the tape itself of course)

It is kept under tension by a springed idler. There are no tape pads. It has a magnetic erase head between a fixed and spring loaded idler or tensioner. Lke a turing tape guide. The capstan is way over on the right side. There are like five heads, electronic heads not the PM erase head. I am probably going to change the tape soon and see what happens. I got some old ½" that is not in great shape. It will deteriorate quickly but I do know that it actually records. The stuff on there really looks funny. Red not brown. Of course that doesn't rally mean anything but that it is unusual a little. Thing is that it is not really opaque.

I am actually disappointed by the thing not hav ing a speed control. What, they didn't have eddy current motors in the 1940s ?

Cheapskates.