Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Default Interesting ...

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 20:02:10 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Jeff
Liebermann wrote:

problem. Posters with questions often supply as little information as
possible and require interrogation in order to extract the facts.
One-liners and lack of info are symptoms of the same problem, fear of
screwing up. The more one writes, the easier it is for someone else
to find an error, omission, or logic fault. Rather than be caught
making a mistake, it is much easier to not present a targets.

Or, of course, being inconsistent within a post. It's late, one is
tired, and so on. Much easier to make a short post than make a longer
one be coherent.

Are you sure?
"I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to
make it short" (Blaise Pascal)

I know how to make things worse. I often post to Usenet when I'm
working in my palatial office. A single long reply might be assembled
in perhaps 5 sections, spread over several hours. I frequently have a
better idea as I go along, and forget to edit the previous great idea
into something that is consistent with the latest great idea. When I
later review the posting, my reaction is usually "Did I write that"?
Sometime long and coherent are mutually exclusive.

I tend to write that way I expect others to write. As I previously
mentioned, I really don't care for one-line opinions and
pontifications. I want to read logic, reasoning, references,
examples, links to related articles, and personal experiences. That's
rather difficult to deliver in a short posting and impossible in a
one-liner.

Also, I'm quite serious about the fear of screwing up. It really bugs
me. With all the rants and conspiracy theories that I write, mistakes
are inevitable. When possible, I admit and correct my mistakes. More
often, I just turn off the computer, and go sulk for a few days.
Sometimes, there's nothing I can write that would be worth reading, so
I just disappear. Eventually, I recover and return until repeated
after my next inevitable mistake. I could greatly improve my batting
average by simply replying with a one-liner, where my ability to screw
things up is severely restricted.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D