Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Interesting ...

On 2015-01-02, William Sommerwerck wrote:

His basic premise makes sense -- more components = lower reliability
-- but the fact is that one can easily find electronic devices 50 and 60
years old that have never been serviced that continue to work. Members
of this group probably own them.

This is a category error. Yes, we all have 'n' year-old electronic
devices,
because we have thrown away the ones that have failed.

That's logically correct. But I have 40 to 50 year old Sony and KLH
products that work fine. Whereas Sony stuff from the last 15 years is
gradually falling apart.

And I have a lovely Phillips reel-to-reel tape player (1960s) that has
had all the internal drive belts and idler tires turn to goo...a real
pain to get running again! If I ever get around to it. The electronics
all appear just fine.

Not to mention one of my first jobs in the 60s was scrapping rotted foam
sound insulation from the inside cases of IBM punch card printers, etc.
- around 1967 as I recall.

So, what can fail often has little to do with electronics, there is all
that support stuff that goes bad after its BBD (Best Before Date).

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com