Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Default Interesting ...

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 07:05:05 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .

Nothing profound has ever been said on one line.

Including that statement?

Of course. Everything I write has a hidden meaning, hidden agenda,
hidden target, or hidden oxymoron.

The problem here is that while I respect the rights of every person to
have an opinion in accordance with freedom of speech, I don't really
care what that opinion might be. I'm interested in the reasoning
behind that opinion, the logic used to arrive at the opinion, and
possibly some examples of why that opinion is correct and others
wrong. I'll then weight all the sides of the discussion, relative to
my needs, and make my own decision. Circumventing this logic process
by merely offering an opinion is a waste of time and bytes.

Also, the proliferation of one-line comments on the web and Usenet
make me suspect that the literacy of those involved is deficient. I
can speculate endlessly as to the reasons for this deterioration in
literacy. One of the more interesting causes is coupled with another
problem. Posters with questions often supply as little information as
possible and require interrogation in order to extract the facts.
One-liners and lack of info are symptoms of the same problem, fear of
screwing up. The more one writes, the easier it is for someone else
to find an error, omission, or logic fault. Rather than be caught
making a mistake, it is much easier to not present a targets.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and
remove all doubt"? (Abraham Lincoln).

It's also possible that the perpetrators of one-liners are stuck in a
write only mode, where they care little about those that might read
the comments. That would class them only slightly better than a
spammer that doesn't read the newsgroup before or after posting their
junk. If this is the problem, I suggest that people posting anything
first consider a simple litmus test. If you don't like reading what
you're about to post, then don't post it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D