Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Interesting ...

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/01/2015 15:19, N_Cook wrote:

There is a shop in town that is all LED strip lighting. So far no
failures noticed, but I will estimate the total number of LEDs and
monitor over time.

Our office has been up-and-running for less than 6 months. I don't know
when it was fitted out, but the LED lights in the conference rooms are on
clever circuits so they come on only when they are used - and our floor
was empty.

One of them has died. Not the LEDs, but the driver - it's a square
luminaire with LEDs on each side, and one side flashed.

Andy

A while back, they changed the car park lights to LED at my local Co-op
store. One of them started flashing in fairly short order, and has continued
to do so ever since, despite my repeatedly bringing it to their attention. I
suppose in the days of the metal halide lights that they had previously, the
maintenance guy would just have shinned up a ladder and replaced the lamp in
the fitting. To sort out this LED one would require the entire unit to be
unbolted from the wall, and replaced. As to the failure on the one in your
place being the driver rather than the LEDs themselves, I think that goes
along with what the guy is suggesting in the EE Times article.

Arfa