Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default any way to calibrate digital thermometer?

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 11:12:46 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have an Acurite with outdoor sensor that I got as a gift.

Anything that claims to be amazing, magic, miracle, or accurate in the
name, probably isn't. Since you didn't bother providing a model
number, I'll assume you've already given up and are now shopping for a
$300+ weather station. I think you'll find that a decent weather
station (Peet Bros, Davis, etc) are far more expensive. $300 is about
the starting price for a bottom of the line Davis.

The indoor is right on, but the outdoor temp is 6-7 degrees LOW based
on comparisons with multiple sources including another wired thermometer
to the outside, also in the shade. That one always reads exact to my
various other sources. It's just annoying and realize I should just
replace it but Ive been looking for a weather station that gives me
wind speed and direction and something of higher quality but not over
300 to 400$.

There's nothing wrong with the thermometer or sensor. The problem is
location, location, location, and ummm... location. I "manage"
several weather stations and have great difficulties getting
consistent temperature readings. There are standards for locating
sensors which must be followed. I need to run, so here are some
links. Bug me (or post to a weather newsgroup) if lost:

Data quality:
http://www.wxqa.com/AllenFreeMetQC.pdf

Citizens weather observer corp, which monitors temp sensor
consistency.
http://www.wxqa.com

Radiation shielding:
http://wxqa.com/shields.html

Siting:
https://www.campbellsci.com/weather-station-siting
ftp://ftp.campbellsci.com/pub/outgoing/apnotes/siting.pdf
http://wxqa.com/resources.html

gone...
--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558