Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default 2N5401 FAKES!

On 29/12/2014 17:30, Tim Schwartz wrote:
Hello all,

Just a warning that I was about to use a "2N5401" that is marked as
follows:

2N
5401
CH13

and on the back, molded in a circle on the rear is K1 or K7 - the ones
with the K7 have the lettering slightly rotated.

On these devices, the middle pin is the COLLECTOR not the Base, as
a genuine 2N5401 would be. These devices are on a paper tape strip of
20 I bought, and unfortunately I did not keep them in the original
package, so I don't recall where they came from.

Just thought I'd mention it here, as it could cause a lot of grief
when repairing something. I did not bother to curve trace these to see
if they otherwise meet spec, as I plan to trash them. I've since
ordered some proper 2N5401's from Digikey.

Regards, and Happy New Year
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Why would anyone bother faking such tiddlers? I've never heard of anyone
gorging 1 cent or 1 penny coins, equally it just makes no sense