Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Type of paint for cabinets in garage

On 1/8/2015 11:44 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

I appreciate any advice you can provide!

Would you build them out of 2x4, mdf, frame and panel or what?
If I were building shop/garage wall cabinets, I'd start here for the
doors:

Use rail & stile construction.

Make rails and stiles from 3/4" x 2" poplar.

Make the panels from 3/4" plywood.

You now have a cupboard door that is strong enough that you can
mount things on the inside surface.

If the plywood is not a full 3/4", you will need to run the 3/4" x 2"
poplar
thru the planer to match the plywood thickness.

Select some good hinges and paint per previous post.

Have fun.

Lew

Hell no.

Rail and Stile and 1/2 ply. You don't need 3/4.
1/2 ply will allow you to mount things, you get enough purchase in 1/2
And that's good enough. it will keep the weight down which keeps the
doors aligned better.

It's a lot less weight and a lot less $$ for 1/2.

For the cabinet, 1/2 or 3/4 inch ply. You don't need much there as it is
an vertical structure which will be plenty stong if built tight.

Don't over build it, and don't underbuild it. Build it right.

it's not hard to put together carcasses.

--
Jeff