Posted to rec.woodworking
tdacon[_2_] tdacon[_2_] is offline

Default Topical question - what's a good safe heater for garage shop?

"MJ" wrote in message

Ok, while I know I am lucky to be in an area of the country where it
doesn't get much below 40, but due to my extreme reaction to cold, I can't
work in my shop unless it's over 65. I may have Raynaud's disease, since my
fingers go to blocks of ice at below 50.

I am looking for a good, safe heater for the shop. Safe, in that when use
my saw or planner, any sawdust in the air won't catch fire. I'm looking at
some portable radiant heaters that use 220v and I think they might work,
but which one?

The ultimate is to get a permanent propane heater (Red Dawg, seems to be
the best), but it will cost too much right now.

Any suggestions for a good heater?

MJ, I put an electric wall heater in the wall of my own car-and-a-half
garage shop, and it's done a great job for me up here in Port Townsend,
Washington. It's a Pic-A-Watt 240V/4500W wall-mount heater, and it cost me
about $260 three or four years ago. Here's a link to King's fan-driver
heater page: http://www.king-electric.com/products/fan-heater.html. The LPW
model is the one I bought.

Tom