Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Topical question - what's a good safe heater for garage shop?

In article ,
MJ wrote:

Ok, while I know I am lucky to be in an area of the country where
it doesn't get much below 40, but due to my extreme reaction to
cold, I can't work in my shop unless it's over 65. I may have
Raynaud's disease, since my fingers go to blocks of ice at below
50.

I am looking for a good, safe heater for the shop. Safe, in that
when use my saw or planner, any sawdust in the air won't catch
fire. I'm looking at some portable radiant heaters that use 220v
and I think they might work, but which one?

The ultimate is to get a permanent propane heater (Red Dawg, seems
to be the best), but it will cost too much right now.

Any suggestions for a good heater?

Signed Frozen fingers!

If you can create enough sawdust to catch fire, you won't be able to
breathe. Dust fires happen in grain elevators, but AFAIK there has
never been one documented in a woodworking shop.

That kind of fire never entered my radar because of the reasons you
brought up.
The only fire I would worry about might occur from dust building up on
the heater, itself. After a long summer of woodworking and no heater
use, the dust that builds up on and in the heater from a lazy shopkeeper
who neglected to clean it out. Turn the heater on the first chilly day
to heat up the shop and the dust catches fire. I know I can smell it on
the top of my kerosene heater when I forget to blow the dust off. Maybe
it's just not hot enough to light it up.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--