Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Type of paint for cabinets in garage

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 5:31:26 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I have been thinking of making several cabinets for my detached garage. I was thinking plywood carcass, but maybe poplar face frames with raised panels made out of mdf. The garage is insulted but not heated/air conditioned unless I am in there and then only a propane heater.

Go with plywood or plywood panels; your humidity and temperature changes (can cause
condensation) will not be kind to mdf. A washable finish is good, which means you
want gloss paint (or enamel), and it won't stick well or hide the woodgrain unless you
start with some primer.

Face frames with poplar are a good idea; plywood painted edges are a nuisance
to hide, and an annoyance if revealed.