Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone[_3_] Dave Balderstone[_3_] is offline

Default Type of paint for cabinets in garage

In article ,
wrote:

I have been thinking of making several cabinets for my detached garage. I was
thinking plywood carcass, but maybe poplar face frames with raised panels
made out of mdf. The garage is insulted but not heated/air conditioned unless
I am in there and then only a propane heater.

I need to make several of them and I figured painting them a dark color would
be best as they will probably get dirty. I work with everything from wood to
cars. My shop is a 30x30.

I want them to look nice, but I also want them to hold up. I would like to
attempt to paint them with a sprayer. I have a large air compressor and a
craftsman gun which may be siphon fed or HVLP, I am not sure. It has the cup
at the bottom.

What kind of paint would you use? I am concerned with humidity and paint
peeling. When I built the house around 97, I painted all my outdoor door
frames with enamel. Every single piece of wood I painted with enamel ended up
peeling badly.

I am not sure I can spray latex through the sort of gun I am talking about.

What about laquer? I have never worked with it. It seems maybe I read it is
prone to cracking, I don't know.

I appreciate any advice you can provide!

I'd use a tinted opaque polyurethane. I like General Finishes products,
stay away from anything Minwax. Had a client specify their Polyshades
product, and it is the demon spawn from hell, sprayed or brushed.

djb

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes