Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Type of paint for cabinets in garage

On 1/6/2015 8:31 AM, wrote:
I have been thinking of making several cabinets for my detached garage. I was thinking plywood carcass, but maybe poplar face frames with raised panels made out of mdf. The garage is insulted but not heated/air conditioned unless I am in there and then only a propane heater.

I need to make several of them and I figured painting them a dark color would be best as they will probably get dirty. I work with everything from wood to cars. My shop is a 30x30.

I want them to look nice, but I also want them to hold up. I would like to attempt to paint them with a sprayer. I have a large air compressor and a craftsman gun which may be siphon fed or HVLP, I am not sure. It has the cup at the bottom.

What kind of paint would you use? I am concerned with humidity and paint peeling. When I built the house around 97, I painted all my outdoor door frames with enamel. Every single piece of wood I painted with enamel ended up peeling badly.

I am not sure I can spray latex through the sort of gun I am talking about.

What about laquer? I have never worked with it. It seems maybe I read it is prone to cracking, I don't know.

I appreciate any advice you can provide!

Did you prime the wood before you painted with enamel?
paint requires primer, it's what makes that really good bond.

Latex would work well,
enamel, just make sure you prime.

--
Jeff