Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default O/T: Dodged A Bullet

On 12/28/2014 08:06 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
My Hard Drive crapped out; however,dodged a bullet, and have
recovered

SNIP

These two programs - one for Mac, one for PC - will save yer hide when used
with an external USB drive. They are free for home use (but you must buy
them if using them commercially):

For PC: Macrium Reflect Free Edition

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Don't forget to create a recovery boot disk when you first install this product.

For Mac: SuperDuper

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDup...scription.html

This will image your internal Mac drive to an external drive in one of
several ways. I prefer to clone the internal drive so that - if it borks -
I just plug in the external image and boot from that instead.

For Linux I do something more command-line-ish but it works rather well:

http://www.tundraware.com/TechnicalNotes/Baremetal/

Oh, and people who do not backup their stuff regularly should be charged
10x the normal shop rates for recovery ...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/